When summer comes, families flock to the beach. Children in paricular love splashing in the waves, making castles in the sand, and eating ice cream in the sun.
There are common dangers on trips to the beach that parents worry about, and you do your best to keep your children safe and out of harm’s way. But for three-year-old Jacob, a visit to the beach ended in a tragedy.
After recently hearing about a man experiencing the same trauma that her son went through in 2013, Katja Kafling Wichmann of Denmark shared a photo of her son’s feet on Facebook that quickly went viral. She knew that others needed to be warned.
Jacob was at a beach outside of Rosklide, Denmark with his mother, Katja Kafling Wichmann, and ran barefoot in the sand. Just a few seconds later, his summer fun turned into something terrible.
Her son, Jakob, was 3 years old at the time, and she watched as he played joyfully in the sand.
But moments later, she was rushing her son to the emergency room because Jacob had fallen onto glowing embers that were hidden by the sand. Someone had probably had a fire there the night before and thought the fire would go out if they covered it with sand.
After nearly a year of hospital visits, terrible physical pain, and rehabilitation, her now 7-year-old son is a happy and thriving little boy. But, his feet were left permanently scarred.
The family realizes that the person who left the burning embers probably didn’t do it maliciously, but rather, was unaware of their hidden dangers. That’s why it’s important to share Jakob’s story to help warn others.
Next time you’re at the beach and see someone burying the remains of their fire with sand, please instruct them to use water instead. With education and awareness, we can all do our part to keep others safe.