The tragic high school fight in Wilmington, Delaware, in which a group of bullies took a 16-year-old girl’s life was reportedly captured on a cell phone camera.
Daily Mail reports the attack is was investigated by Wilmington police, who believed the cell phone footage may have been filmed by one of the attackers.
The fight started in the bathroom of Howard High School of Technology in Wilmington.
According to witnesses, a fight between Amy and another female student broke out over a boy. A group of girls then reportedly jumped in to help the student beat Amy. At one point, Amy’s head was slammed against a sink by one of the other girls.
Amy was flown to A.I. duPont Children’s Hospital, where she was pronounced dead. Her cause of death has yet to be confirmed.
Three girls involved in the deadly fight were questioned by police and subsequently suspended from school.
In a statement to CBS News, Wilmington mayor Dennis Williams said:
“We are all deeply saddened by this tragedy, and my heartfelt sympathy goes out to the young girl’s family and friends as they grieve this terrible loss.
Howard High School of Technology has a rich history in the City of Wilmington, and in this time of great tragedy, it is critical that we embrace the students, parents, faculty, and the entire Howard community.
Our entire city is shaken by the loss of this child’s life, but in this moment we should all come together to work collectively to address the serious needs of our youth.
As a community, I know that our strength comes from the commitment that we all have to support our children.
Now, more than ever, is the time that we must demonstrate that commitment.”
A vigil was held in memory of Amy, and hundreds of people attended.
Sonny Francis, Amy’s father, spoke to Fox 29 about his daughter’s death.
“I think this is a dream and I’m trying to wake up,” Francis said. “All I know is my daughter is gone,” he continued. “She was the love of my life and it hurts. I thought schools were a safe place.”
Family Court Judge Robert Coonin made his ruling in the non-jury trial of the three teens and classmates who were charged in the death of 16-year-old Amy Joyner-Francis. Two of the girls were age 16; the older one who was 17 was convicted on Thursday, April 13, 2017 of criminally negligent homicide and found guilty of misdemeanor conspiracy.
State Prosecutor Sean Lugg deemed this fatal encounter an “attack,” not a fight as many referenced it in media and social media.
Sentencing for the teens who were tried as juveniles and declared delinquent is set for May 23.
If the 17-year-old had been convicted as an adult, she would have faced up to eight years in prison. As a juvenile, she could be subject to supervision, and possible incarceration until age 19. Coonin told her she is prohibited from possessing a deadly weapon until age 25.