A mother who lost her newborn child tragically has a warning for all of those mothers out there who breastfeed their children.
According to Mamamia:
Writing on Facebook just a day after her son’s death, Kristin Hoffmann revealed she lost her seven-week-old baby, John Thomas Michael Abernathy after she fell asleep during feeding time.
“It greatly pains me and shames me that this happened, but I have to ask you all to please share and spread the word,” she wrote.
“No matter how tired you are as a mother, GET UP AND GO TO A CHAIR or somewhere you won’t fall asleep when you feed your child at night.
“My precious son slipped off my breast and into the covers of my bed early Sunday morning and into heaven.
“The way we discovered him was a tragedy I don’t want to hear [it happen to] anyone else.”
Although baby John was able to be revived, he had been deprived of oxygen for too long and he passed away.
Kristin’s powerful message has already been shared over 300 times, with many reassuring the young mum her baby’s death was a tragic accident.
“My heart is so heavy for you, please know that this could have happened to anyone,” a friend wrote.
The Australian Breastfeeding Association recommends it is not safe to share a bed with your baby if you are “unusually tired, to the point where you would find it hard to respond to your baby”.
Kristin was extremely very brave to come out and share her story with the world. Most people wouldn’t dream of speaking about such a tragedy but this mother understands that her loss could save another’s life. Please keep this family in your prayers and share this with your friends and family.