Six people, including children, were shocked by electricity on an amusement park ride called the Scrambler in New London, Connecticut, Tuesday afternoon.
New London Police Department confirmed the incident in a statement posted to its Facebook page Tuesday.
“Upon arrival on scene, police and fire personnel located multiple persons of assorted ages who claimed to have suffered various degrees of electrical shock,” the statement said. “All parties were transported to Lawrence + Memorial Hospital for medical treatment. No injuries appear to be serious in nature at this time.”
WVIT reported police said during a new conference that the problem may have been because of a loose lighting wire from a nearby ride called the Octopus that sent a current through the frame of the Scrambler.
WTNH reported that 25-year-old Victor Williams, of Wauregan, his 10-year-old son and Williams’ girlfriend’s 4-year-old daughter, 7-year-old daughter and 10-year-old son were among those affected.
Those who were shocked have been treated and released from the hospital. They did not have to stay overnight.
“The safety of our guests is always our number one priority,” park manager Dave Sugrue said in a statement. “The Connecticut State Police had been here all afternoon along with local police and the Fire Marshal’s Office. We will continue to work closely to find out the answer.”
The rides on the park were shut down by order of detectives until the issues were fixed. The rides have reopened since then.
— tina detelj (@tinadetelj) August 17, 2016