Have you ever opened some chocolates and find white splotches on it making it look old and possibly spoiled? Ever wonder what causes it? Don’t worry. What you see is natural if not exactly what you want to see. And best of all the chocolate is perfectly safe to eat and has not lost it’s taste. It is called sugar bloom. It’s caused when your chocolate gets some water on it. The sugar in the chocolate adheres to the chocolate and makes it look faded.
What is this? Does chocolate go bad that quickly, or are you doing something wrong? It turns out this is completely normal, and your chocolate is still edible – yay!
This reaction is called a sugar bloom, and if it grosses you out it’s easy to prevent.
We promise sugar bloom is not as scary as it looks. Your chocolate’s packaging keeps moisture away from the bar, but if it manages to sneak in, the sugar will drink it up and make these crystals.
If you can’t stand eating chocolate once it’s bloomed, keep it somewhere moisture free, with a even temperature.
Another cousin of the sugar bloom is the fat bloom, and this one is actually worth worrying about.
Fat bloom happens when your chocolate changes temperature, or if the filling inside upsets the chemical balance of the bar.
Like sugar bloom it’s safe to eat, but it’s also a sign that you’re buying cheap, poorly made chocolate. So if you see fat bloom, treat yourself to something fancier, you deserve it!