During the Fourth of July weekend in Chicago, more than 100 people were shot and at least 14 people were killed, and this outbreak of violence made President Donald Trump to send federal help.
According to the police, thirteen people have been killed and more than 90 others were wounded in shootings across Chicago since noon Friday, marking this a bloody holiday weekend that exceeds last year’s violence.
Last year’s Independence Day weekend, which was one day shorter than this year’s, ended with 66 people shot, four of them fatally — a total that actually stoked cautious optimism with the lowest death toll for the July 4 weekend in nearly a decade.
As reported by The Chicago Sun Times, Six of the victims who died this year were among 36 people who were shot at different locations within the city in an 8-hour span of violence between 8 p.m. Tuesday and 4 a.m. Wednesday.
This incident made President Donald Trump to send federal help which he announced on Twitter.
Crime and killings in Chicago have reached such epidemic proportions that I am sending in Federal help. 1714 shootings in Chicago this year!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 30, 2017
Also in the same day that Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced steps that the Department of Justice plans to take to increase public safety in Chicago and detailed the federal “strike force” being deployed to the Windy City to target violent offenders and investigate gun crimes.
“No child in America should have to walk the streets of their neighborhood in fear of violent criminals, and yet in Chicago, thousands of children do every day. Last year, more than 4,300 Chicagoans were shot, and more than 700 were killed—the deadliest year in two decades,” said Attorney General Jeff Sessions in a statement on Friday, concerning the violence in Chicago.
“The Trump Administration will not let the bloodshed go on; we cannot accept these levels of violence,” he said.
“That’s why, under President Trump’s strong leadership, we have created the Chicago Gun Strike Force and are sending 20 more permanent ATF agents to Chicago, reallocating federal prosecutors and prioritizing prosecutions to reduce gun violence, and working with our law enforcement partners to stop the lawlessness.”
According to Sessions, the Trump Administration will also pursue “every avenue available to ensure that states and cities comply with federal immigration law and protect our citizens—rather than protecting the criminal illegal aliens who prey upon them. So-called ‘sanctuary’ policies tie the hands of law enforcement by rejecting common sense and undermining federal laws that would remove criminal, illegal aliens from the streets and remove them from this country.”
“The most critical factor to our success is the strength, training, and morale of the Chicago Police Department and all of our law enforcement partners. This administration is anxious to work toward this goal,” he continued.
“And I am confident in Celinez Nunez, the new Special Agent in Charge of the Chicago office of ATF, who has experienced the tragic consequences of gang violence firsthand. With these new resources, she will help us make Chicago safe again.”
The Chicago Crime Gun Strike Force will include 20 agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives; six intelligence research specialists; 12 task force officers from the Chicago Police Department; two task force officers from the Illinois State Police; and four National Integrated Ballistics Information Network specialists, according to the Justice Department.